Sunday, November 11, 2012

Teaching Tip!

I'm linking up with Miss Kindergarten today to share a favorite teaching tip!
Every teacher knows all about classroom jobs and helper charts, right? Something like this...
or this...
There are lots of ways to display classroom helpers, and for many years I had that ocean chart in my classroom! I would change out jobs every Monday and the kids would rotate jobs like Line Leader, Paper Passer, Trash Collector, Center Checker, etc... I always had a hard time coming up with enough jobs so that most kids would get a job each week. Then, on Monday I'd become so busy with Monday things that I would forget to change jobs... or a kid would be upset that he or she didn't get to be Line Leader and didn't want to be Trash Collector. To be honest, the classroom jobs became an annoyance to me.
So, I decided to switch to a new way of handling jobs... Helper of the Day! Each morning at calendar, I pull a name to be our Helper of the Day. This student gets to do EVERY job for one whole day. He or she leads the line, passes out papers, checks the weather, etc. Then, the next day, the next student on the list gets to be the helper. It works beautifully and saves my sanity! :)

3 comments:

  1. I do something similar. I have a "Star Student" every day, and they are the teacher helper. It rotates through the kiddos based on their classroom numbers. Of course, we go out of order when a kiddo has a birthday, then they get to be the "Star Student". Thanks for sharing!
    Hilary
    Second Grade is Out of This World

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! Anything that saves sanity is worth it! Thanks for sharing and linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, thanks for sharing. I can NEVER remember to change jobs on job charts, I'm SO forgetful that way

    Dynelle
    http://firstgradefunmrsdunn.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Gearing Up for Back to School!

Wow, this summer has flown by!  I can't believe I only have 2 weeks left before I report back for pre-planning!  As the summer comes t...